Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Biggest Label Scam EVER

I consider myself a pretty astute food consumer and yet I am still astounded by the trickery of food manufacturers.  While the following may be perfectly legal, I call total b.s.

After watching Forks Over Knives, I started to spend a lot of time reading up on the effects of fat, cooking with oil, etc.  Dr.'s Esselstyn, Campbell, Barnard and many others recommend removing oil from the diet but I took that to be for people who were already consuming a lot of fat in the Standard American Diet or those with signs of Metabolic Syndrome - i.e. don't pour fat on fat.   I don't get a lot of fat in my diet unless it's from natural non-animal sources (avocado, nuts, ground flaxeed) but I believed that cooking with a bit of olive oil or non-stick spray wasn't a biggie.  In fact, cooking with olive oil was a little luxury while non-stick spray was making a huge appearance in my kitchen. 

Then I spent an entire evening watching talks by Nutritionist and Registered Dietician Jeff Novick. I love him btw.  (I swear sometimes he was married to Miranda on Sex In The City) He's a straight talker who has a crazy passion for pulling apart the nutrition myth of the day, analyzing the clinical data and then literally obliterating the theory.  I love facts - ergo - I love Jeff Novick.

Here's the video that set me straight about my friend PAM.  More than anything I'm mad at myself for not figuring it out on my own.  Duh.



I know that we've been beat about the head and shoulders with the mantra "olive oil is good fat" but there is a whole other school of thought out there.  I'll be writing about it more in coming weeks but for now, I'm heading to the kitchen to clear out the PAM!

I encourage you to watch ANY and ALL of Jeff's videos on YouTube.  It takes a battle mentality to earn our good health. Jeff and many others can arm you with the knowledge!


No comments:

Post a Comment