Monday, May 16, 2011

Thai Curry Tofu*

If you didn't already know it - Isa Chandra Moscowitz is my current idol. Not only did she write the quintessential vegan cookbook Veganomicon, but her latest endeavor Appetite For Reduction is rocking my cooking world! She is the owner of the iconic Post Punk Kitchen website and from what I understand, she might be the best vegan baker in the world. She's from Brooklyn but makes Portland (see previous post!) her home of choice. Buy her cookbooks - change your life.

I've made something new every day this week and have eaten every last ounce of it before taking any pictures! Tonight I forced myself to be patient before wolfing down this tofu. As with any recipe I post, our options are so limited on Barbados that I have to make numerous substitutions and tweak things to fit the circumstance. I chose to post this recipe because of it's flexibility - thanks for the inspiration Isa!



Mix Marinade: As noted above, I used what I could find...
2 tablespoons White Curry Paste (Any kind of curry paste will do)
1 tablespoon light Agave Nectar (Can sub another Agave Nectar but no honey)
1 tablespoon of light soy sauce (Tamari if you're gluten free)
1/3 cup of water

Start with one block of extra firm tofu - rinsed, pressed and cubed
(click here for sure fire pressing technique)
Heat 2 tablspoons of coconut or canola oil in a frying pan & add tofu cubes.
Brown on most sides & add a couple dashes of soy sauce. Toss to coat.
Remove tofu to side plate

Next, heat up a tablespoon of coconut or canola oil and add a minced shallot or small onion - push around until translucent and add three minced garlic cloves for about 30 seconds. Don't burn the garlic.

Throw the tofu and marinade into the pan on top of onions and garlic and let the sauce reduce down until the tofu is covered in a nice glazey mix of yumminess. Toss in some fresh chopped Thai Basil (or regular basil in Barbados) and let it wilt down.

Remove from heat and devour.

* I too am tired of seeing tofu used only in Asian applications but this is simply delicious and it's the only thing I have patiently waited to photograph. The next tofu recipes will NOT be Asian inspired - promise!

Eat Kind, Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment