Monday, August 29, 2011

Black and Blue Burgers


Have you ever created something in the kitchen and been unsure of whether it's right or so very wrong? I did! I was futzing around yesterday afternoon and came up with this nutty concoction. Try it and let me know - right or wrong?

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon horseradish
1/2 tablespoon garlic (run through a microplane or zester - you can also buy garlic paste at Big B in the Asian section - far right, second shelf)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Handful of BACOS! (this is where things fall off the rails)
1 tablespoon of crumbled blue cheese

Yeah. Bacos and Blue Cheese.



First, BACOS are a vegan food as confirmed by both Betty Crocker and PETA. If you're craving a little bacon flavor (and who doesn't?) this should cure you! Bacos fall squarely in the category of "Things I Would Never Eat Before Becoming Vegetarian". Use sparingly and admit to no one.

Second, I don't purchase cheese anymore. In my humble opinion, dairy cows have pretty much the worst lives of all animals we use for food. More on that another day. BUT, when cheese makes it into the house on a husband's whim, I'm not happy to see it go bad. To me, wasting it means the sacrifice of her calf was for nothing. That's how the blue cheese made it into this recipe.

On with the recipe...

Mash the black beans with a fork until you've got a good mix. I like to leave a few beans halves unmashed. Add the remaining ingredients except the blue cheese and combine. NOTE: If you don't have wheat germ you can sub wheat flour or extra bread crumbs.

I put the mixture into the fridge for about 30 minutes while I cleaned the kitchen and made Chapatis (see below). I have no idea if this helps to keep the burgers together but my burgers hung tight!

Heat a tablespoon of coconut or canola oil in a non-stick pan while you form your patties. Let the oil get pretty hot so that when the patty hits the pan, you get a nice brown crust.

Once the burger has been browned on both sides and cooked through, sprinkle a little blue cheese on the top to melt. A little goes a long way. Serve with your favorite condiments on your favorite bread. I made homemade Chapatis for the "bun" and seasoned them with thyme and rosemary for a homey taste. I'll post the Chapati recipe next!

Something about the faint crunch of the bacos with the bite of the horseradish and boldness of the blue cheese really worked for me. Again, I have no idea if this was good or bad. You decide!



No comments:

Post a Comment