|A little more inspiration for ya...|
At first glance I thought 'No Problem!'. I can rock 20 songs in 20 seconds. But now the pressure is mounting because I realize how subjective music can be. Opening up your running playlist is quite revealing - I feel a little naked.
I Googled "Running Playlists" recently and was shocked to see a disturbing amount AC/DC, Metallica and Van Halen. Weird. It's the music of my high school years so could perhaps be nostalgic but I mainly just want to turn it down. Besides - when nostalgia strikes, it usually comes in the form of New Order.
Naked or not... like it or not... here are my current top 20 running songs:
1. Shake It Out - Florence + The Machine (favorite of the moment)
2. Everlong - Foo Fighters (ANY version of this song will do)
3. Radioactive (Remix) - Kings of Leon
4. Tongue Tied - Grouplove (Fun!)
5. Naive - The Kooks
6. Just Say Yes - Snow Patrol
7. Wandering Star - Polica (Perfect warm up song)
8. Take Care - Drake & Rihanna (Barbados makes you love Rihanna like it or not)
9. Wide Eyes - Local Natives
10. Hold On - Alabama Shakes (toward the end of your long run)
11. She's Long Gone - The Black Keys
12. If you Run (Live) - The Boxer Rebellion
13. Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall - Coldplay
14. Balance - Future Islands
15. Thunder - Matisyahu (lyrics perfect for early morning runners!)
16. 16 Years- Phantogram (another good warm up for early morning)
17. We Will All Be Changed - Seryn (imagine running the Scottish highlands)
18. Last Summer - Pete Yorn
19. Just Breathe - Pearl Jam (for slow rolling hills on a beautiful morning)
20. Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine (Too late! Every runner already has it)
There she is - a snapshot of my current running playlist.
There are many songs that have been banished from the list for the crime of being overplayed - but it's not their fault. I had a marathon to train for and some songs just had to pay the price! RIP old songs... perhaps I'll see you in rotation again some day...